When we think of robots, we often think of locomotion through motors powering wheels.
Mike Rinderknecht studied different forms of locomotion, many inspired by nature, and demonstrated a variety using the Lego NXT. Check out his Crazy Bird Robot. See his 43 Different Morphologies video.
Check out Theo Jansen’s Kinetic Structures. You can see his presentation at TED via youtube.
1) From Rinderknecht’s video, which grouping of locomotive morphologies did you find most interesting? Why?
2) What are your thoughts on Rinderknecht’s work in general?
3) How are Jansen’s sculpture’s powered?
4) What’s the biggest jeopardy/concern to Jensen’s sculptures?
5) What are your thoughts on Jansen’s work in general?